Enter food for NutritionData.com analysis or GlycemicIndex.com data
Food Name

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Prunes in Port Wine and Mascarpone

A side trip through Starling Fitness brought me to this recipe.

It's something a little bit different. I HAD been thinking about poached pears, but what I've got is this bottle of a local varietal wine in my refrigerator. Concord grape. I can't figure out what to do with it -- so foxy, so sweet, so "Welch's grape juice". I think it would overpower pears. Maybe it would pair better with the prunes. Maybe not.

I need to figure out who carries mascarpone before my next regularly-scheduled grocery-shopping trip. I also want to figure out the nutritional value of this dessert.

I wonder if I can count 1 1/2 cups of Port as 2 DASH servings of fruit juice? It IS fruit juice, after all, isn't it?

-= Exported from BigOven =-
Prunes stewed in Port with Mascarpone

Warm, sweet fruit and cool, creamy mascarpone -- a combination even a lifelong prunophobe couldn't resist.

Recipe By: Josh Friedland, http://www.thefoodsection.com/foodsection/2006/01/
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:


-= Ingredients =-
1 1/2 cups Port wine
2 whole Cloves
1 whole Cinnamon stick
1/8 cup Sugar
12 whole Prunes
1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon juice ; about 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons Mascarpone

-= Instructions =-
Reduce the port over medium heat. As the alcohol burns away, add the spices and sugar.
When the port is reduced to 1/2 its original volume, strain out the spices and add the prunes. Continue to cook until the sauce becomes a thick syrup.
Add the lemon juice. If the syrup is too thick, dilute with a small amount of water.
Refrigerate until desert time. Reheat the prunes and sauce.
Spread the mascarpone onto the middle of a plate (or, if you want to be fancy, form quenelles with the cheese), and layer the prunes on top, spooning the sweet sauce over and around the mascarpone.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **


Photo credit: Josh Friedland, http://www.thefoodsection.com/foodsection/2006/01/

0 comments: