Enter food for NutritionData.com analysis or GlycemicIndex.com data
Food Name

Friday, February 03, 2006

Mascarpone is as Buttery as Butter

Since the photo of Prunes in Port Wine with Mascarpone shows 3 or 4 prunes, I'll assume the sauce is meant to serve 4, and give everyone a tablespoon of Mascarpone. Sounds like a very light bite.

Prunes stewed in Port with Mascarpone
Serving Size: 4

1 1/2 cups Port wine
2 whole Cloves
1 whole Cinnamon stick
1/8 cup Sugar
12 whole Prunes
1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon juice ; (about 1/2 lemon)
4 tablespoons Mascarpone

I found nutritional data for mascarpone on the BelGioso website. Turns out a tablespoon of Mascarpone (28g) has 13g of fat. That's a little more than a tablespoon of butter! That's 3 servings of fat. And it doesn't supply enough calcium to count as a dairy product. I used wine, dessert, sweet to represent the Port. It's got 2.3g of sugar per fluid oz. A serving of sugar is one tablespoon, granuated (12.6 oz).

I used BigOven to work out the Nutritional Summary, and EXCEL to do my arithmetic for the serving statistics.

Nutritional Summary
Servings: 4: Serving Size: 1/4 of total: Calories: 339: Fat(g): 13: Sodium (g): 24

Food Group Serving(s)
DASH: Vegetables: 0: Fruits/Juices: 0.6: Dairy: 0.1: Grains: 0.0: Meat/Fish: 0.0: Seeds: 0.0: Fats: 2.8: Sweets: 0.9
USDA: Vegetables: 0.0: Fruits/Juices: 0.3: Dairy: 0.1: Grains: 0.0: Meat/Fish/Seeds: 0.0: Fats: 2.8: Sweets: 0.9

Not such a light bite! To wedge this one in my daily calorie budget, I'd need to eat my toast and my salad without butter or oil, and then do it again tomorrow. And there's barely enough on the plate to taste it! Maybe I'm not going to rush out to buy mascarpone just yet.

0 comments: