Enter food for NutritionData.com analysis or GlycemicIndex.com data
Food Name

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Carbohydrates or Fats, but not both for Diabetes?


Barnard: low-fat

Bernstein: low-carb
Lately, I've been reading about high-carbohydrate diets that manage or reverse type-II diabetes. But there is another approach -- a low-carbohydrate diet. Both can cite studies that show the diets they've developed help patients much more than the standard ADA-recommended diet. Both diets show dramatic improvements in insulin sensitivity, blood sugar, blood lipids, and weight loss. As far as I can tell, the only thing they agree on is that diabetics should avoid sugar and white bread. How would a person choose between the two programs?

4 comments:

Sparrow Rose said...

I've been on Dr. Barnard's program since January. The decision between the two was easy for me: both may work equally well for diabetes, but Dr. Barnard's program also works against other diseases like cancer and heart disease while I've seen a lot of evidence that a high-fat diet is a risk factor for those and other illnesses. What's the point in victory over my diabetes if, in the process, I'm exposing myself to all kinds of other health risks?

Family Nutritionist said...

How do you like the food? It seems a little ... austere?

Sparrow Rose said...

I adore the food. Chili, salads, fresh fruit, burritos, quinoa stuffed peppers, pancakes with agave nectar (tastes like honey but lower glycemic), pad thai, curries galore. The list goes on and on. It's much better than the flavorless stuff I was eating before.

But I do understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Family Nutritionist said...

That's interesting. I saw a fanatic cook (http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com) become a lot less fanatic about food, and more fanatic about food issues.

What's your favorite food from Barnard's diet?