Enter food for NutritionData.com analysis or GlycemicIndex.com data
Food Name

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Exchanges made easy.

My old cookbook is scanned and printed out. I punched holes in it and bound it in a 3-hole report cover -- the kind with brads. It isn't very thick. My book won't fall apart quite so quickly.

Next project: figure out the DASH "exchanges" for some family favorite recipes. I used to try to do these in MasterCook, but I could never really depend on the exchanges in MasterCook. Many ingredients have no exchange information. Pasta is always wrong, and who knows what else? Besides, MasterCook uses American Diabetic Association exchanges, which are different from DASH or USDA exchanges.

So I am going to try doing it by hand for now, using EXCEL. I will start with an easy one: Baked Ziti.

Baked Ziti with ground turkey for 5
15 ounces lean ground turkey
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
8 ounces ziti pasta
7 1/2 ounces ricotta cheese, part skim milk
1/3 pound shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup onion chopped
15 ounces low-sodium crushed tomatoes (1 can, no salt added)
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano



Tomatoes, onion, and green pepper, and garlic are vegetables. A DASH serving of vegetables is 1/2 cup, which is 8 fl oz. That's 1.2 veg per serving.

And so on. The herbs (vegetables) and spices (seeds) don't add much

The result is:
DASH: Vegetables: 1.2: Fruits/Juices: 0.0: Dairy: 2.1: Grains: 1.6: Meat/Fish: 1.0: Seeds: 0.0: Fats: 0.0: Sweets: 0.0

I don't want to have to try to keep track of these fractions of servings for everyone in the family! So I am going to have to make some changes.



I got my exchange information from



0 comments: