Enter food for NutritionData.com analysis or GlycemicIndex.com data
Food Name

Monday, June 30, 2008

Red wine with that burger, please

A group of researchers in Israel discovered that a meal of grilled turkey burger resulted in a lot of oxidizing chemicals in rats' stomachs. But they could counteract that problem by feeding the rats some red wine concentrate with the meals. This concentrate was very high in catechins, the same anti-oxidants found in cocoa. They found that the antioxidants in food started doing their good work right in the stomach, and concluded that there is an "important benefit of consuming dietary polyphenols during the meal."

5 comments:

Bix said...

Your fireworks were appropriate there :)

Family Nutritionist said...

For the Fourth of July, or because the study is controversial?

Bix said...

Because the study supports the drinking of a little red wine. The fireworks were like saying, "Cheers!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Family Nutritionist!!
I left a comment under your post labeled Chocolate and Blood Pressure... I just thought I'd also mention quickly... one daily serving of Xocai product offers a whopping 1200 mg flavanoids and 11,319 ORAC, which is stamped and tested my the independent brunswick labs. I've read over many of your posts and you really know your stuff. Especially with no formal nutrition training! I'd really love to hear what you think about this. My email address is racheljerickson@hotmail.com
Hope to hear from you soon.

Family Nutritionist said...

I've never heard of the Xocai products. I would really like to be able to compare the price per 100mg polyphenols with other commonly-available products, such as the MARS products and ordinary natural cocoa.